Home » Center (Page 3)
Category Archives: Center
In this C1908 Post Card we are on Barretts Hill Road looking west and down onto Greeley Street; which runs horizontal in the picture. At this intersection a left turn onto Greeley takes you to Hudson Center; with a right turn you are headed towards Old Derry Road. Straight ahead you are looking at what is now 68 Greeley Street. In the center of the intersection notice the grassy triangular piece. This is called a “heater piece”. This peculiar shape is formed from the flow of traffic; by continually going left, right, or straight this part of the intersection receives little or no traffic. It is given the name “heater piece” as the resulting shape resembles that of a flat iron. At the time of this photo the house shown here belonged to the estate and family of David Glover. Photo from the Historical Society Collection.
Perhaps as early as 1888 Harvey Lewis began a long standing tradition of a grocery store in Hudson Center. Moore’s General Store at the corner of Kimball Hill Road and Hamblet Avenue began about 1925 when Earl “Dinty” Moore purchased the business from Harvey Lewis. Moore was a rural mailman in town but his family assisted with operating the store. Ownership remained with the family; passing from Earl to his son Kenneth. Later Kenneth’s brother-in-law Morillo Post entered the business. At that time they enlarged the business and added a barber shop and second floor apartments. After the death of Morillo in 1963 the business was sold to David and Robert Thompson; both of whom had worked for the Moore Family in earlier years. The Thompson Brothers operated the store at this location until November 1969 when fire badly damaged the building. Rather than rebuild on this site the Thompsons relocated their business to Central Street. This 1940’s photo shows the business before the building was enlarged by Kenneth and Morillo. This site is now the location of the ever popular Kahil’s sub and sandwich shop. Photo courtesy of Post/Granger Family and now a part of the Historical Society Collection.
This C1888 photo of the Hudson Center Common shows the view from the home of Eli Hamblet on Hamblet Avenue. Straight ahead is the Baptist Church, the church where he was elected as deacon just a few years earlier in 1882. The large vestry has not been built, but I am certain the need for it has been discussed among the members. To the right of the church is the home of Mrs. Mahalia Greeley; the widow of John Greeley, MD. To the left of the church is the home of Daniel Greeley. Daniel was known to have a good nature and he was well liked within the community. In the foreground and on the left of the photo is the Old Hudson Center Cemetery. Up until a few years prior to this photo the cemetery was in disrepair and the town was considering moving the remains from this site so that the size of the common could be increased. This proposal did NOT meet with public sentiment and, as it turned out, a former resident of Hudson , John Foster, made a proposal to the town that he would build a stone fence and clean up the cemetery if the town would maintain it. Imediately beyond the cemetery is a roof of a barn; possible from the barn connected to the Henry Brown House on the opposite side of the common. Photo from the Historical Society Collection.
This house was a landmark in Hudson Center for many years; standing at Kimball Hill Road opposite the Hudson Center Common and directly across from the front steps of the Baptist Church. The first occupant was Dr. Paul Tenny who moved to town about 1791 and later settled here. The property was sold to Dr James Emery in 1849. When Dr. Emery retired it was purchased by Henry C. Brown; in 1935 it was purchased by John T. Benson and became part of the Benson’s Wild Animal Farm property. Vera Lovejoy and her family lived here while she was managing the Benson Farm. This c1895 photo shows, left to right, Henry C. Brown; Ina Louise Brown, daughter; Clara Bryant Brown, his wife; and John and Eliza Brown the adoptive parents of Henry. Photo from the Historical Society Collection.
The first established post office in Hudson was at Hudson Center. The Postmaster, Reuben Greeley, used this ell attached to the west side of his house for the Post Office. This 1960 photo shows the back side of the ell from the field located at what is now 230 Central Street; the 7-11 Convenience Store. Reuben served as postmaster from 1818 until 1829 and then again from 1849 until 1853 after which the Hudson Post Office was moved to the bridge area. This ell was a part of the Greeley/Wentworth property when purchased by the Baptist Church in 1962. A few years later the large section was removed for safety reasons and the remainder configured into a garage. This garage has since been removed also. From 1876 until 1910 the Hudson Center Post Office was located in the Railroad Depot. So, for a period of 34 years the town of Hudson had two post offices; one at the bridge ad one at the center. This photograph is used here by permission of Hastings House Publisher the publisher of “The New England Image” by Samuel Chamberlain.
The First Baptist Church of Hudson was organized in 1805 at the home of Thomas Senter on at what is now the Old Derry Road near the Londonderry Line. For the first 37 years services were held in members’ homes or at the North Meeting House located just east of the Town House. The sanctuary of this church at the corner of Central and Greeley Streets was constructed in 1842. In 1888 a short alcove was added to house the new organ; then, in 1897 the large vestry was added. This photo was probably taken at the time of the centennial celebration of the church in 1905. Over these years the exterior of the building has not changed significantly except for replacing the original steeple which was completed in 2007. To the left of the church we see part of the Greeley/Wentworth home, now the church parsonage. The stacks of wood seen here were used to heat the building. The dirt roadway in front of the church is either Central Street or a short cut from Central Street to Greeley Street. Photo from the collection of the Hudson Historical Society.