Traveling from Nashua into Hudson on the original Sagamore Bridge in southern Hudsonc1976. Lowell Road, once a series of farms growing a variety of produce in large fertile fields was being transformed to commercial and industrial use. Opposite the bridge on Lowell Road is part of the Benton Morgan Farm. Photo from the Historical Society Collection. (Published in the HLN August 1, 2014.)
This is a view from Webster Street looking toward Ferry Street circa 1968. Some of your readers will recall The 20th Century Store, White Cross Super Store, Hudson Pharmacy, and the Laundromat. These buildings were efficiently and quickly razed to make access roads for the Veterans Memorial Bridge which now connects Hudson and Nashua. Photo from our collection; photographer Tom Muller. (Published Hudson-Litchfield News (HLN) July 18, 2014.)
The home of Charles A. Daniels was built about 1901 and is shown in this 1904 photograph with the family. Photographed are his wife Anna, her father David Sheldon and her mother Sarah who is holding Anna’s second child, Lorraine. Seated on the steps is Rev. Franklin Chapin, the Congregational Minister. Seated at the right is Charles A. Daniels holding his oldest child Raymond. Once a part of the Gillis Estate this house lot was purchased by Charles A. Daniels in 1901. Charles Daniels was the Hudson Postmaster from 1903 until 1921 and one of the proprietors of Daniels and Gilbert Store at the Bridge. The home remained in the Daniels family until purchased by the family of Robert and Martha Smith in 1949. This building is located at 35 Central Street and is owned by the Smith family and is home to their family business Smith Plumbing and Heating.
Born in 1810 to Tamar and Thomas Hamblet, Eli lived most, if not all, of his adult life in Hudson Center. Eliâs home and farm home was located on Hamblet Avenue facing the Hudson Center Common on the east side. This house was previously owned by John Foster who operated a grocery store there for about 19 years. Eli married Rebecca Butler of Pelham in 1844. Their daughters Rebecca Souvina and Arvilla continued to reside in the house after Eliâs death in 1896. In addition to farming, Eli served his town in many ways; town clerk, selectman, overseer of the poor, and representative to the general court. He was one of the organizers of the Hudson Center Library and he acted as the librarian when this small library was housed in his home. He was a member and Deacon of the Baptist Church. In 1876, when the Hudson Center Post Office was established at the Railroad Station behind the Town Hall, he was appointed postmaster. He held this office until his death in 1896. Eliâs entire family, including his parents, are buried in Westview Cemetery. This house was the home of Robert Thompson, Sr and his family for many years. After being vacant for an extended time it was demolished a few years ago.