This home of Raymond Pollard was located on the east side of Lowell Road opposite the Luther Pollard/Hardy Farm. Using today’s Lowell Road landmarks it was located on what is now the northern end of the parking lot for Market Basket. The Raymond Pollard farm, was part of the original Thomas Pollard, Jr farm which was settled C 1731. The exact boundaries of the original farm in this area are unclear; but did include this farm, as well as parts or all of the Luther Pollard Farm, and the Samuel Gowing Farm. This house was built about 1838 by Ebenezer Pollard, the grandfather of Raymond, on the exact site of an earlier house built by an earlier ancestor!!
Raymond was born in Hudson in 1878 and lived all but the last few months of his 93 years living in this home. In fact, up until age 90 he was actively operating this family farm which had been in his family for over 250 years.
From documentation of this house written in 1942 we learn that the timbers in the timbers and many of the rafters, were hand hewn and many of the joints were held together by wooden pegs and any nails used were hand made. The main timbers were very large, mostly 10″ by 10″ and a few 8″ by 8″. The stairways was narrow and winding. The chimneys were made of mud brick and, in 1942, one chimney was still in good condition and in constant use.
Raymond and his wife Cora (Cooper) had a daughter Vernetia who married Sullivan W. Brown of Nashua in 1924. Cora passed about 1965; Raymond continued to live here until 1970. Some time, just before or after his passing this property was sold. By 1986 a shopping center consisting of Hudson Snack Bar, State of NH Liqueur Store, and Osco Drug. The center has been expanded and now includes Market Basket of Hudson. Photo and documentation of the house are from a booklet entitled “Hudson NH Homes Built Before 1842”; a project of The Hudson Fortnightly Club and on file at the Historical Society.
This home was located on the east side of Lowell Road, opposite Fairview Nursing Home and adjacent to the entrance road to what is now Mission Pointe. In the 1920’s the family of Marion (Parker) Brown lived here. Marion was one of the daughters of Caroline and George Parker. When John Hardy purchased the Pollard Farm this became the home of his parents, Bertha and Robert Hardy. Robert passed in 1969 and Bertha passed in 1984. The property was sold to settle Bertha’s estate. The home was vacant for a number of years and in 1996 it was demolished to allow for the expansion of Lowell Road in that area. In 2001 it was purchased by the Town of Hudson. This home was on the site recently selected by our town for the proposed Lowell Road Fire Station. Photo from the Historical Society Collection.
The elegant summer home shown in this photo, became the summer residence of sisters Mary and Caroline and the family of Caroline (Pollard) and George Parker. It was located directly north of the Pollard/Hardy farmhouse and on the same side of the road at what is now 203 Lowell Road. Caroline’s family consisted of four girls: Edith, Helen, Marion, and Caroline. In years to come Caroline’s grandchildren would also enjoy their summers on the family farm here in Hudson. This photo from the Historical Society collection shows the rear view of the summer home as it overlooks the fields and river.
We are uncertain when this home was built; but would estimate about 1900. We do know that by 1915 Mary, Caroline and her family enjoyed their summers at this Parker Summer Home called “Fair View”. It was so named by the family because of the countryside viewed from the home.
By 1946, after the passing of Edith Parker and after World War II the remaining members of Caroline’s family decided to sell the farm; the entire farm, including three houses, was to be sold as a single transaction. By May 1946 John Hardy purchased the Luther Pollard farm from Luther’s descendants. By December of that same year the summer home “Fair View” was subdivided and sold to Putnam Stearns as a family home. It was later sold to become a nursing home, called Fairview, operated by Mr and Mrs Coulter and Mrs Blacktin. Ove the years and as a result of modernization the original building has been completely replaced. It now includes the complex of Fairview Nursing Facility, Rehabilation, Laurel Place, and The Inn at Fairview.
Hudson resident Ellie (Gowing) Freeman remembers the original building as she, at the age of 16, worked for the nursing home. Resident Leo Demers was a child-hood friend of Francis “Fran” Coulter. These boys often sat on the stone-wall entryway uprights to Fairview and wave to passing vehicles on the two lane Lowell Road. These vehicles were mostly farm tractors and hay bailers. Today, the road is four lanes and even trying to walk across the road is almost impossible.
The family of Thomas Pollard, Jr was one of the earliest to settle in Dunstable on the east side of the Merrimack River. His farm was south and adjoining that of Joseph Blodgett and extended to the river. The exact date of his settlement is unclear but probably was about 1731-2. This part of Dunstable later became Nottingham, MA, then Nottingham West, NH and now Hudson. By 1900 there were two family farms in this area bearing the name of Pollard. This week’s photo is of the farmhouse of the Luther Pollard Farm located at 205 Lowell Road. The second Pollard Farm that of Raymond Pollard will be remembered at a later time!!
Luther acquired his farm in 1853 from Calvin Pollard. Luther and his wife Eliza raised a family of one son, George, and two daughters, Mary and Caroline. After Luther passed in 1898 ownership of the farm went to his children. George passed early, leaving sisters Mary (also called May) and Caroline as owners. Caroline married George Parker a business man from Lowell/Boston, MA whereas Mary remained single. Over time the sisters became residents of Lowell and the Hudson farm became their summer home. The farmhouse was used for the farm manager and a summer home built for the sisters and the growing family of Caroline and George Parker. In the late 1920’s Robert Hardy and his wife Bertha and family of 9 children moved from Durham, NH to work as farm manager for the Pollard/Parker family. Two additional children were born to them later for a total of 11.
For the next fifteen plus years the Hardy family managed the Pollard Farm. During the summer months the Parker/Pollard family spent their vacation time in the summer home. These two families were such a part of each other’s lives that they felt like one big expanded family. They played together, worked together, and took day trips together. The two older Hardy children, John and Helen, graduated Nashua High School in 1941. As the war started John remained in Hudson and expanded the farm to include a small greenhouse so as to start field tomatoes early during the cold weather before transplanting outside. In 1943 he was able to start about 1500 plants to transplant in to the fields.
After World War II members of the Pollard/Parker family decided to sell the property; the entire acreage and buildings to be sold as one parcel. The property was offered to Robert Hardy; he turned it down and suggested the property be offered to his son John as he was the one still farming. John purchased the farm in May 1946. By December 1946 a survey had been done and the summer house was sold. John continued with and expanded the farm operation; specializing on market gardening. In 1948 he erected a steel framed greenhouse over 39 feet wide by 200 feet long!! He became a pioneer in the pick-our-own vegetable harvesting; particularly tomatoes.
John Hardy and Hudson native Elaine Esty were married in 1952. Their family of 2 girls and 2 boys arrived between 1953 and 1959. The Hardy farm continued to operate as a major market garden for several years as the family grew. By 1971 they specialized in tomatoes. Their children grew up, went to school, married and moved on. By the late 1970’s farm operations were winding down; hastened by a collapse of the huge greenhouse. John began to sell parcels of land. He had lived on that farm for about 85 years; passing in February 2007. The final parcel to be sold was the farmhouse and outbuildings to their neighbors, the Fairview Nursing Home in 2008.
The era of the John Hardy farm came to an end August 2008 when the farmhouse was razed to make way for the expansion of the Fairview Nursing Home. It is now the location of the modern Memory care Unit. One final piece of farm history was yet to be completed. In 2010, Elaine Hardy printed for her family and the Historical Society a history of the Pollard, Parker, Hardy Farm of Lowell Road. This photo from of the Historical Society Collection.