Home » 2015 » March

Monthly Archives: March 2015

Thompson’s Market on Central Street c1977

1977004021
The tradition of a grocery store at Hudson Center continued when the Thompson Brothers, Dave and Bob, relocated their business to 230 Central Street in 1970 following the fire at the Kimball Hill Road location.  This Central Street site had been part of the Greeley-Wentworth property.   Dave and Bob ran the business together for about 5 years, at which time Dave retired from the business. Bob purchased his brother’s interests and continued to manage the store. This he did  until his retirement in 2002, when he received an offer from 7-11 Corporation. Thompson’s Market was an ever popular min-supermarket which is fondly remembered by many!!   In this c1977 photo we see the low price of gas and pork chops!!  This location is now the 7-11 located at 230 Central Street in Hudson Center.  Photo from the Historical Society Collection.
Advertisements

Moore’s General Store c1949

moores rescan comp

Perhaps as early as 1888 Harvey Lewis began a long standing tradition of a grocery store in Hudson Center.   Moore’s General Store at the corner of Kimball Hill Road and Hamblet Avenue began about 1925 when Earl “Dinty” Moore purchased the business from Harvey Lewis.  Moore was a rural mailman in town but his family assisted with operating the store.  Ownership remained with the family; passing from Earl to his son Kenneth. Later Kenneth’s brother-in-law Morillo Post entered the business.  At that time they enlarged the business and added a barber shop and second floor apartments.  After the death of Morillo in 1963 the business was sold to David and Robert Thompson; both of whom had worked for the Moore Family in earlier years.  The Thompson Brothers operated the store at this location until November 1969 when fire badly damaged the building.  Rather than rebuild on this site the Thompsons relocated their business to  Central Street.  This 1940’s photo shows the business before the building was enlarged by Kenneth and Morillo. This site is now the location of the ever popular Kahil’s sub and sandwich shop.  Photo courtesy of Post/Granger Family and now a part of the Historical Society Collection.

Lowell Road and Central Street Intersection c1960

2003018040 comp
In this c1960 aerial photo of  Lowell Road and Central Street there are no signs of the traffic or of the traffic lights of today. Central Street runs horizontally  along the middle of the photo with Lowell Road coming down towards the right.  Just above this intersection is Hurley Street which appears as an unpaved road.  In the upper left is the Lions Club Community swimming pool between Library and Hurley Streets.  This pool operated  between 1954 and 1968, at which time increased operating costs required it be closed.  The overpass for the   B&M Railroad right of way crossed Lowell Road and proceeded along Central Street towards Hudson Center. The tracks and metal connected with this overpass were removed for scrap metal in 1942; but, the abutments on either side of Lowell Road remained into the 1950’s. By the time of this photo, these abutments had also been removed.   The triangular piece of land at the intersection of Central and Lowell is now Hammond Park, The Fire Department Memorial.  It is interesting to see the open space around many of the homes with their family or community gardens.  I would like to hear from any of our readers who can add to the detail to help date this photo.  Leave a comment or send email to HudsonHistorical@live.com. Photo  was donated to the society bythe family of  Leon and Gerri Hammond.

Legendary Locals of Hudson and Mason and Hamlin Reed Organ Restoration

launch poster

Revised March 17 – Lower shipping costs.  $3.90 for 1 book; $5.10 for 2.

The Hudson Historical Society is participating in the Book Launch of Legendary Locals of Hudson on Sunday March 22, at 2:00pm at Rodgers Memorial Library.  Please come, join us and purchase your copy of the book.

cabinet organ comp

The Historical Society is fortunate to have two Mason and Hamlin reed organs in their collection.  The oldest of these is a cabinet style which dates to about 1840 and given to the society in 1980 by Victoria (Ladner) Smith. It was owned by Lois Alzira Smith of the Glover and Smith Family.

1850 organ comp

The second organ was the very first organ used by The First Baptist Church here in Hudson and it dates to the mid 1850’s when it was purchased by/for the church and played by Dr. David O. Smith.  It was donated to the society by Mrs. Leighton Drown in 2007.  The exterior of this organ is in excellent condition thanks to the wood restoration efforts of Mr. Drown many years ago.

Our goal over time is to have both of these organs restored to playing condition.  You have an opportunity to help with this restoration by purchasing your copies of Legendary Locals of Hudson from the Historical Society.  The cost is $22.00 per book and ALL proceeds from books purchased from the Society will go towards the renovation of these organs.  A goal of $6,500 has been set for this project.

Books can be purchased at the Book Launch on March 22.    After that time purchase can be made at the Hills House at 211 Derry Road Thursday mornings 9-12 through April.  Checks are accepted and should be made payable to Hudson Historical Society.   If these times are not convenient send email to HudsonHistorical@live.com  or call the society at 880-2020 to place your order.  Books can be mailed for a shipping charge of $3.90 for a single book; $5.10 for two books.   Include shipping costs in your check and mail to P.O. Box 475, Hudson, NH  03051.

Hudson Center Common From Eli’s Front Door 1888

2004007001 comp

This C1888  photo of the Hudson Center Common shows the view from the home of Eli Hamblet  on Hamblet Avenue.  Straight ahead is the Baptist Church, the church where he was elected as deacon just a few years earlier in 1882.  The large vestry has not been built, but I am certain the need for it has been discussed among the members.  To the right of the church is the home of Mrs. Mahalia Greeley; the widow of John Greeley, MD.  To the left of the church is the home of Daniel Greeley.  Daniel was known to have a good nature and he was well liked within the community.  In the foreground and on the left of the photo is the Old Hudson Center Cemetery.  Up until a few years prior to this photo the cemetery was in disrepair and the town was considering moving the remains from this site so that the size of the common could be increased.  This proposal did NOT meet with public sentiment and, as it turned out, a former resident of Hudson , John Foster, made a proposal to the town that he would build a stone fence and clean up the cemetery if the town would maintain it.  Imediately beyond the cemetery is a roof of a barn; possible from the barn connected to the Henry Brown House on the opposite side of the common.  Photo from the Historical Society Collection.