A typical district school was very basic. A single classroom where students of multiple grade levels were taught by a single teacher. There were usually two doors; one to be used by the girls and the other by the boys. Classroom was heated by a wood stone. And, by the way, there was no interior plumbing. The outhouse was located to the rear of the building.
Early school history of Hudson shows the town divided into 10 districts, each with its own school house. Shown here is a sepia photo of the No 1 District Schoolhouse known as Musquash. with some of the students standing in front. The school was located on the east side of the Back Road (now called Musquash Road) at or near the site of the First Meeting House. This house was used for school purposes until 1933. Relics of the foundation of this school house can be seen in the wooded area behind the marker for the First Meeting House at Musquash.