In March 1970 the State of NH identified land frontage and specific properties to be taken for bridge access along Ferry Street. Many residents remember those times and the major impact the demolition and reconstruction had on Ferry Street. We have already discussed the destruction of the 20th Century complex and that of the White Cross Superstore on the opposite (south) side of Ferry Street at Post Office Square. Today we look at the impact on the north side of Ferry Street up to Library Street. Three properties from the intersection of Ferry and Webster Streets to Carl’s Esso were taken by the state: the Morey Building, a Dry Cleaning shop, and Chick n’ Chips. Also frontage was taken from the Esso station to Library Street. The intersection of Baker Street onto Ferry Street was eliminated and Baker became a dead street. Frontage, including 26 shade trees, was removed from Library Park. Initially it was thought that the old ‘trolley stop’ would also be demolished; but, in the final planning it was saved.
The Morey Building was an important part of the business center of Hudson about 1923 when it became the site of the Hudson Post Office. This building was also the initial location of the 20th Century Store, a shoe repair shop, and a second hand shop. It was remodeled in 1948 into a 2 storey brick veneer building. The Post Office occupied 1/2 of the first floor. The rest of the first floor was rented to Trombley’s shoe repair. The second floor provided residential apartments. The Post Office remained at this location until 1959 when town growth required expansion of office space and parking. A new Post Office was built at 15 Derry Street.
In April 1926 Ray House contracted with Osgood Construction Company of Nashua to build a 2 stall garage type building on Ferry Street; he then leased space, including office space, to the town of Hudson for a Fire/Police Station. This served as our fire station until after WWII when it was expanded to a 4 stall station. In addition to the Police/Fire station this was home to Ferry Street Garage, Chevy Sales and Service, and Hudson Cab. As town growth continued plans were made to build a town owned station on town land. The Central Fire Station (now Leonard Smith Station) was completed about 1953.
Once the Post Office, Fire and Police Departments removed from the area these building were used for various commercial purposes and residential apartments until their demolition in 1970. The Nashua Trust Bank used space in the Morey building for a temporary Hudson Office in 1964. At time these buildings were home to Chicken ‘n Chips, a cleaning establishment, a donut shop, and residential apartments.
Driving on Ferry Street today heading toward the bridge into Nashua, there is no evidence of these buildings; in fact one wonders how there was even enough room for this complex to exist! The only possible reminder of the old roadway is the dead end of Baker Street.