This week we revisit the fifth old residence which faced the Hudson Center Common. This home between the Baptist Church and the old Town Hall has been replaced by an office building operating as Heritage at Hudson.
The house in this photo dates to at least 1850, perhaps earlier. It stood for many years between the Baptist Church and the Town House at Hudson Center; and over these years was occupied by many families, including: Robinson, Chase, Greeley, Hamblett, and Biskaduros. This was home to members of the Noah Robinson Family. Noah was born in Londonderry and at the age of 22 became one of the 65 charter members of the Hudson Baptist Church in 1805. After his death the property was purchased by Benjamin Chase in 1864 who in turn sold it to Mahalia Greeley in 1873. Mahalia was the widow of John Greeley, MD, a holistic doctor, who spent most of his years in Londonderry. She lived here until her death in 1913. From 1926 until 1950 it was owned and occupied by Everett and Ruth Hamblett;were both were in business in Hudson Center. He operated a ‘filling station’ and garage; and Ruth a gift shop and diner. This c1976 photo was taken a short while before the original house was taken down replaced by the current colonial style office building; doing business as Heritage at Hudson.This building appears as the first on Windham Road; in actuality it has retained the old address of 238 Central Street. Photo from the Historical Society Collection.