Coming into the 1950’s the tax base in our town was primarily rural, farming, and residential. In an effort to balance this base and provide a venue to attract industry into Hudson, the Hudson Industrial Associates was organized in the early 1950’s. Their purpose was simple: attract industry, improve the tax base, and make Hudson a better community. This association consisted of some 16 public-spirited individuals including selectmen Edwin Steckevicz, George Tetler, and Frank Nutting. Arthur Kashulines was the first president, Ned Spaulding the clerk, and Paul Buxton the treasurer. A brochure advertising the merits of our town was distributed and inquiries were received from various states. In these and other ads Hudson was pictures as an alert New Hampshire community with a blend of traditional New England qualities with a forward look. We offered to industry level acreage with city facilities, room to grow, central location, and local government. Write or call for full details.
This group arranged for the purchase of land in different parts of town including previous farm land between Derry and Litchfield Roads along Elm Avenue. The result was a 26 acre industrial park. The first industry to build here was The Newton Manufacturing Company in 1959. Others followed, and by the late 1960’s the park was at full capacity. Prior to this development the land parcels involved were owned by the family of Elijah Reed and the family of Carl Oliver. Mr Oliver is remembered by many as a public school bus driver.
This C 1977 aerial photo of the Elm Avenue Park was taken from Webster Street looking north and east towards Derry Road. At the top of the photo we see Derry Road and the Kopinski Homestead at 147 Derry Road. The United Pentecostal Church (The Sanctuary) is just off the photo to the right. At the time of this photo this park was home to five industries: North American Angenieus, Inc (Optical Laboratories), Contact, Inc. (Soldering Equipment, Wire Strippers), New Era Industries, Daw Tire and Supply Co., RDF Corporation (Temperature Control Systems). RDF Corporation occupied two buildings.
As you approach this park today from Webster/Litchfield Road you will find the following industries on the left side of Elm Avenue: A J Mac Contracting Electrician in a building which did not exist in the photo; RDF Corporation which now occupies four buildings, Able Air (Compression Air Systems). The final building before the intersection with Derry Road is being demolished. That part of the Elm Avenue Park including the stretch along Derry Road awaits the next chapter in its industrial/commercial life. And, we all get to watch as it develops.
The C 1977 photo of the Elm Avenue Park is from the collection of the Historical Society. Much of the information re: the Hudson Industrial Associates and these industries was found in Town in Transition and Nashua/Hudson City Directories.