In 1892 there was but one house on the western side of Sanders Street (now Library Street) between Ferry Street and what is now Central Street. That house belonged to Joseph Fuller. The Hills Memorial Library had not been built and that corner lot was the location of an Ice House. In May 1910 Fred Blodgett transferred a parcel of land containing about 11,975 square feet on the west side of Sanders Street to The Congregational Society. This parcel was part of land previously owned by Joseph Fuller. The very next month the church contracted with Nashua Building Company to construct a parsonage house. Work began July 1 and was completed by October 1 of that same year. This was a major accomplishment for this Hudson Church and their new Pastor, the Reverend Lewis E. Perry formerly from Ayer, Mass. Rev. Perry delivered his first sermon in Hudson in July 1910 and was the first pastor to reside in the new parsonage on Library Street.
This residence at 31 Library served as parsonage for the Congregational pastors until the merger between that congregation and the Methodist church in 1930. It then served a parsonage of the Hudson Community Church until October 1970. The last pastor to reside there was Rev. J. Vernon Whittenburg who served the church from 1963 to 1970. At that time a decision was
made and the property was sold as a private dwelling. From 1970 to the present this home has had 4 owners, including the present owner, Mr. Walid Alhgoul, owner of Wally’s Pizza in Hudson Center.
The accompanying photo shows 31 Library as of the summer of 2016. The Historical Society does not have a good photo of the early parsonage; ff any of our readers can help locate such a photo; please send an email to Ruth at HudsonHistorical@Live.com. Also, special thanks to David Morin for helping with the research for this article.