Behind this week’s photos we find not one story but two! The first being the Sherman Tank and army vehicles heading down Ferry Street. The second is the story behind the houses along Ferry Street we see in the background.
Memorial Day May 30, 1949 Ferry Street
These photos were taken May 30, 1949. In that year Memorial Day observations for Hudson were held over a two day period. The activities were under the direction of American Legion Post #48 with Roger L. Boucher as Chairman of the Memorial Day Committee. On Sunday, May 29th the Legion and Auxilliary attended Mass at St. John The Evangelist Church. In the afternoon Post members joined with veterans’ organizations from Nashua and parishioners of St. Patrick’s Church Parish in the dedication of The War Memorial at St. Patrick’s Cemetery in Hudson.
On Monday Morning, May 30, a parade assembled on First Street with the line of march proceeding to Ferry Street and down the hill to Library Park assembling for the activities to be conducted there. This parade included a police escort, parade marshall and representatives from veteran’s and service organizations from Hudson and Nashua. In these photos we see one modified Sherman tank. According to newspaper write-ups the next day, there were actually six such tanks included in the Hudson parade. At Library Park Harry Salvail Past Post Commander was the Master of Ceremonies. The guest speaker of the day was Elliot A. Carter of Nashua. Wreaths were placed on three markers in honor of those who gave their lives for their country.
On Monday afternoon American Legion Post 48 participated in the Memorial Day Program in Litchfield where a tablet was unveiled in honor of the war dead of Litchfield. The Sherman Tanks, at least five of them, proceeded to Nashua to participate in the Memorial Day parade through the streets of Nashua.
The second story is with the houses along Ferry Street we see in the background; what is now 44 and 46 Ferry Street. In the mid to late 1940’s and in to the 1950’s there was a large increase in traffic along Ferry Street; automobiles and gas were more available and individuals were traveling to Nashua for employment. During this time period there were a number of small Mom and Pop enterprises opening up. Of course we remember The 20th Century and before that Sal’s Market. There were also the smaller variety stores like Bradley’s Market at the corner of Library and Ferry. Even further up Ferry at what is now 44 Ferry was a small variety store operated by Herbert and Mary Shepherd. If you lived in that area and/or attended Webster School or Hudson Junior High School, you may have memories of your own. George Abbott remembers going across the field between School Street and Ferry Street to buy snacks from ‘Mamie’ Shepherd on his lunch hour during Jr. High. Neil Cunningham who lived further down on Ferry Street remembers his Mom sending him to ‘Mamies’ for a loaf of bread. Carol (Whittemore) and David Flewelling remember going there for candy and ice cream.
Mary ‘Mamie’ and Herbert Shephard
Mary ‘Mamie’ (Perkins) and Herbert Shephard lived in what is now 44 Ferry Street from about 1946 until Herbert passed in 1961; at which time Mary continued to live there until 1972. During this time Herbert was employed as a bus driver, a railroad worker, or a grocer. Mary operated a grocery or a variety store there in the mid to late 1940’s. Mary lived her final years in Milford with family. 44 Ferry street is now a private residence.
These photos are from the collection of the Historical Society courtesy of Paul Whittemore. My thanks to Carol Flewelling for her assistance with the research.