The Hudson Fire Department takes its origin back to 1892 when the Hudson Hose Company was founded by a group of volunteers. This independent company raised their own funds for equipment and expenses. Individuals paid dues, were fined for missed meetings, and engaged in fund raisers. Their first project was the building of the Old Hose House on Central Street just above the Methodist (now Community) Church. Individuals pledged time in order to supply the necessary labor. This building was sufficient to house early equipment and provide a place for volunteers to meet.
In 1913 this group purchased the Kelly Springfield truck by public subscription at a cost of $1,030. Individuals signed a note at The Nashua Trust Company. This vehicle is said to be the first piece of motorized fire equipment used in New Hampshire. The next year this truck and the balance of payments was turned over to the town with the understanding that the truck would be housed near the bridge. Prior to this time the town had not formerly helped the department. Through this action and payment of a small salary our early firefighters were able to join the State’s Firemen’s Relief Association. The Kelly was housed in a garage on Campbell Avenue donated by Charles Norton. As the department expanded and more equipment purchased, the move was made to to the House Brothers’ Garage on Ferry Street.
In April 20, 1926 The Osgood Construction company of Nashua was awarded the contract for a new fire house for the Hudson Department; built for Raymond House. Details were finalized and work started .immediately. The press release in the local paper April 20, 1926 stated that part of the old garage was moved to make room for the new engine house. The Town of Hudson had signed a five year lease with Mr House for this new station which had two vehicle stalls, an office and lounging room for members of the department as well as a sleeping room. It was a bungalow style building made of brick and concrete blocks. Brick on the front and concrete blocks on the sides. The new building was expected to be ready for occupancy in a few months. This station was located on Ferry Street, opposite and slightly north of the intersection with Campbell Avenue; about where the Gulf Station is now located.
A vote was recorded to have a photograph of department members in front of the newly completed station in the mid 1920’s. The photo of the Ferry Street Station C 1926 seen here could be the result of that motion. The photo shows the two stall station, the Reo firetrucks used at the time, along with drivers and members of the department. Charles Reynonds and Ray House are in the driver;s seat of the left engine. Harry Emerson and Fred House are in the right engine. Standing between the engines from left to right are: Ornam Campbell, Bill Edgley, Charles Farmer, Edward Robinson, Sidney Baker, Earl Alexander, Chief Harry Connell, John Pearson, Allen Andrews, Joseph Fuller, Walace Baker, Paul Buxton (arrow), and Roland Abbott.
This Ferry Street station served the department and the community until some time after World War II when it was expanded to a four stall station. Then, as town growth occurred in the early 1950’s the Central Fire station (now Leonard Smith station) was built on corner of Library and School Streets. In time the Ferry Street building was razed to make way for the access roads leading to and from the bridges. Photo from the Historical Society collection.