For many years this Derry Road location was the site of the Abbott home, milk business, and farms. Abbott’s Dairy was operated by George Abbott for many years. After his sudden death in 1929. his son’s Roland and Kenneth ran the milk room. Local dairy farmers would deliver their milk for processing after which milk and cream were delivered by Abbott’s Dairy to homes and businesses in the Nashua and Hudson area. After Roland’s death in 1964, “Kenny” carried on until the property was sold for the new Hudson Mall.
In 1973 Vickerry Realty, owner and developer, publicized their plans to build Hudson Shopping Mall on the east side of Derry Road, just north of St. Patrick’s Cemetery. Estimated to be a 3 million dollar complex of a climate controlled, enclosed sidewalk mall with a large Alexander’s Super Market on the north end. Alexander’s opened for business in 1974; other smaller stores and First Federal Bank soon followed along the indoor mall. This new supermarket created significant competition for other markets in town. By May 1977 McDonald’s Restaurant was added as a stand alone business.
This photo shows Hudson Mall C 1977 at the time of the publication of “Town in Transition” by The Hudson Historical Society. At that time, in addition to the large Alexanders supermarket, the mall included: Books and Cards Unlimited, CVS and CVS Pharmacy, Flower World, Norms Hardware, and First Federal Savings and Loan.
Significant changes have occurred over the years. In 1988 the Post Office was relocated to this mall from 15 Derry Street. In 1990 Alexander’s supermarket moved up in size and out of its original location as a large superstore was added onto the south end of the mall, and Alexander’s, now Hannaford’s, moved into their new quarters. At about this same time, the mall itself was modified to eliminate the interior sidewalk mall. Each retail business had direct exterior access. Photo from the Historical Society collection.