In July 1924 representatives of The Congegation of the Presentation of Mary in Canada were invited by Bishop Guerton of Manchester to choose a site for this school. Bishop Guerton wished to have a bi-lingual boarding school in his diocese which served the franco-american population. By August of that year Alexander McDonald sold 128 acres to the community. The Presentation of Mary was incorporated by the State of New Hampshire and construction began. By September 1926 the building was blessed and the first school year began with 114 students – 70 of which were boarders.
In 1933 the first class of advanced studies began and by 1935 Governor Styles Bridges signed the charter authorizing Rivier College to grant bachelors degrees. Rivier remained at this Hudson location until 1941 when it moved to the former Shea property on South Main Street in Nashua.
Today’s photo was taken in 1975 in preparation for publication of “Town in Transition” the updated history of Hudson 1913 – 1977 and is a part of the photo collection at the Hudson Historical Society. Today The Presentation is a day school with students from pre-school through junior high school attending from Hudson, Nashua, and surrounding areas in both NH and Mass.