Home » 2015 » July

Monthly Archives: July 2015

Twin Span Bridge Across the Merrimack C1975

Twin Span Bridge C 1975

Twin Span Bridge C 1975

The  challenge  of crossing the river  between the communities of Hudson and Nashua has been a re-occurring  one since the beginning of our town’s history.  The twin span bridge shown in this C 1975 photo, is the result of such a challenge which began in the early 1960’s and extended for a decade or more.   This photo was taken from the Hudson side at Ferry Street.  These spans, constructed at separate times, now provide for traffic between the communities of Hudson and Nashua.  
First to be completed was The Veteran’s Memorial Bridge (northern span).  This span was constructed along side and parallel to the aging concrete Taylor Falls Bridge. Following 15 months of construction this span was opened in September 1970.  Emergency repairs had been necessary to “shore-up” the deteriorating Taylor Falls Bridge; load limits and height restrictions were imposed to postpone its demise. State officials made the decision to permanently close the old bridge once the new span opened in September 1970.  This set the stage for the construction of the southern span shown in this photo.The old bridge was demolished in the spring of 1973 and The Taylor Falls Replacement bridge opened in December 1974.
As necessary as these bridges were, their construction and the access roads required for their use completely eliminated the general business area which had developed at the bridge near Central and Ferry Streets.  Photo from the Historical Society collection.
Advertisements

Presentation of Mary C 1975

1977032002

Presentation of Mary C 1975

In July 1924 representatives of The Congegation of the Presentation of Mary in Canada were invited by Bishop Guerton of Manchester to choose a site for this school.  Bishop Guerton wished to have a bi-lingual boarding school in his diocese which served the franco-american population.  By August of that year Alexander McDonald sold 128 acres to the community.  The Presentation of Mary was incorporated by the State of New Hampshire and construction began.  By September 1926 the building was blessed and the first school year began with 114 students – 70 of which were boarders.
In 1933 the first class of advanced studies began and by 1935 Governor Styles Bridges signed the charter authorizing Rivier College to grant bachelors degrees.  Rivier remained at this Hudson location until 1941 when it moved to the former Shea property on South Main Street in Nashua.
 Today’s photo was taken in 1975 in preparation for publication of “Town in Transition” the updated history of Hudson 1913 – 1977 and is a part of the photo collection at the Hudson Historical Society.   Today The Presentation is a day school with students from pre-school through junior high school attending from Hudson, Nashua, and surrounding areas in both NH and Mass.

Baker Office Building and Nashua Trust

Baker Office Building comp

Baker Office Building

This popular photo  of The Baker Office Building is on display in the Foyer at the Hills House on Derry Road.  Visitors touring the Historical Society will often comment “This is where we got our marriage license”!  John E. Baker served as Town Clerk and Treasurer from 1940-1965.  At first he conducted his town business within the Baker Brothers’ Store on Central Street.  By 1944 this privately owned office building was built  on part of the old Kendrick property at the point of land between Derry Road and Baker Street.  From this building Mr. Baker conducted his town responsibilities along with his private business as a John Hancock Insurance Agent and Justice of the Peace until the present Town Hall was completed in 1965.  At that time the town office was moved to Town Hall on School Street.
1977004016

Nashua Trust Building Derry Road

When the access to the newly constructed Veterans’ Memorial Bridge were designed Baker Street became a dead end street at Ferry Street.  This small office building was moved to a private residence on Ledge Road.
The Nashua Trust Company had established a temporary branch office in the Morey Building on Ferry Street and opened for business by the end of August 1964.  By March 1967 the bank moved into this brick building on Derry Road opposite Library Park  and near the site of the earlier Baker Office Building.  By  August 1980 the Nashua Trust expanded it’s operation and relocated to 77 Lowell Road, occupying a portion of the former Piggly Wiggly Building.  After a series of bank mergers and buy-outs the Lowell Road site is now occupied by Citizens Bank.   This photo shows the Nashua Trust Derry Road building  C1976.    The building still stands and has been used by a real estate firm and a loan company.  It is currently vacant.  Photos from the Historical Society Collection.

Robinson Road Looking West c1935

Robinson Road C 1935

Robinson Road Looking West  C 1935

In this C 1935 photo we are standing  near 99 Robinson Road looking west C. 1930.  At that time Robinson  was pretty much a single lane roadway unless you happened to meet a car from the opposite direction.  In that case the car coming east would ‘scoot’ off to the right until the oncoming car was passed.  The utility pole seen here provided telephone service from the central at Hudson Center.  Electricity was not available in this part of town until about 1946.  Beyond the utility pole we see the barn which once stood at what is now 104 Robinson Road. Photo from the Parker/Robinson Family and now a part of the Historical Society Collection. (Published HLN July 10, 2015)