After Hudson adopted a unified school district in 1896, a number of local school houses were purchased and converted into private dwellings houses. Such was the case with the house shown in this 1956 photo. The #6 (Farms District) school house was built in 1852 on what is now the vacant lot just north of 107 Derry Street and almost opposite Hudson Hardware. By 1898 the school house was converted into a dwelling by Menzell French. It remained in the French family until destroyed by fire in January 1980. For years this was the home of Harold and Maude French and family. Harold began The French Insurance Agency in the front room of this home; notice the sign along Derry Street. Maude is fondly remembered for her work with the 4-H clubs, Fortnightly Club, and her prominent role in securing funds for and the beginning of Alvirne High School. The insurance agency was continued by their son, Gordon, and now by grandson Rick and family at 12 Derry Street. Photo compliments of the French family and now a part of the Historical Society Collection.
This house was a landmark in Hudson Center for many years; standing at Kimball Hill Road opposite the Hudson Center Common and directly across from the front steps of the Baptist Church. The first occupant was Dr. Paul Tenny who moved to town about 1791 and later settled here. The property was sold to Dr James Emery in 1849. When Dr. Emery retired it was purchased by Henry C. Brown; in 1935 it was purchased by John T. Benson and became part of the Benson’s Wild Animal Farm property. Vera Lovejoy and her family lived here while she was managing the Benson Farm. This c1895 photo shows, left to right, Henry C. Brown; Ina Louise Brown, daughter; Clara Bryant Brown, his wife; and John and Eliza Brown the adoptive parents of Henry. Photo from the Historical Society Collection.
The first established post office in Hudson was at Hudson Center. The Postmaster, Reuben Greeley, used this ell attached to the west side of his house for the Post Office. This 1960 photo shows the back side of the ell from the field located at what is now 230 Central Street; the 7-11 Convenience Store. Reuben served as postmaster from 1818 until 1829 and then again from 1849 until 1853 after which the Hudson Post Office was moved to the bridge area. This ell was a part of the Greeley/Wentworth property when purchased by the Baptist Church in 1962. A few years later the large section was removed for safety reasons and the remainder configured into a garage. This garage has since been removed also. From 1876 until 1910 the Hudson Center Post Office was located in the Railroad Depot. So, for a period of 34 years the town of Hudson had two post offices; one at the bridge ad one at the center. This photograph is used here by permission of Hastings House Publisher the publisher of “The New England Image” by Samuel Chamberlain.