Home » Greeley Interest (Page 2)
Category Archives: Greeley Interest
Historians date this house to about 1790 when it, and much of Hudson Center, was a part of the farm of Henry Hale. This became the home of Reuben Greeley about the time of his marriage to Joanna Merrill in 1817. From that time until 1962 this home was occupied by Reuben or a member of his family. After Reuben’s death in 1863 his son Daniel continued to live here with his wife, Joanna, and daughter Edwina. Edwina married John Wentworth and in time ownership was passed to their son Nathaniel. Nathaniel married Jesse Gilbert of Windham who resided here until her death in 1962; after which the Baptist Church purchased and remodeled the home to be used as a parsonage for their pastor and family. The parsonage has been located here at 234 Central Street some 53 years. In this c1980 photo church members are washing windows and cleaning exterior of the parsonage. Photo courtesy of Hudson Baptist Church.
The house in this photo dates to at least 1850, perhaps earlier. It stood for many years between the Baptist Church and the Town House at Hudson Center; and over these years was occupied by many families, including: Robinson, Chase, Greeley, Hamblett, and Biskaduros. This was home to members of the Noah Robinson Family. Noah was born in Londonderry and at the age of 22 became one of the 65 charter members of the Hudson Baptist Church in 1805. After his death the property was purchased by Benjamin Chase in 1864 who in turn sold it to Mahalia Greeley in 1873. Mahalia was the widow of John Greeley, MD, a holistic doctor, who spent most of his years in Londonderry. She lived here until her death in 1913. From 1926 until 1950 it was owned and occupied by Everett and Ruth Hamblett; were both in business in Hudson Center. He operated a ‘filling station’ and garage; and Ruth a gift shop and diner. This c1976 photo was taken a short while before the original house was taken down replaced by the current colonial style office building; doing business as Heritage at Hudson.This building appears as the first on Windham Road; in actuality it has retained the old address of 238 Central Street. Photo from the Historical Society Collection.