Home » 2021
Yearly Archives: 2021
300 YEARS of HISTORY
This exhibit shows 300 years of Hudson school history (1719 – 2021) in 5 segments. The text with photos for each segment can be downloaded from the home page of RememberHudsonNHWhen.com.
In the Beginning (1719 – 1890) is displayed in the Dining Room of the Hills House. It begins with early schooling and the rise of the 10 local school districts and ends with decision by the voters to transition to a unified (town) district under the jurisdiction of a School Board of 3 members. Files for download:
A New Era (1890 – 1934) is displayed in the Meeting Room. It begins with the first School Board and the building of two new schoolhouses: one in the bridge area on Sanders Street (Webster School) and one at Hudson center on Windham Road (Smith School). Fire destroyed the Smith School, and it was replaced with a school on Kimball Hill Road (Hudson Center School). By 1934 Webster School had also endured a fire, rebuilt, and expanded. Most of the local district schools had been closed; a few were used as needed. After grade 7 Hudson pupils attended Nashua schools. File for download:
Era of Many Changes (1935 – 1970) also in the Meeting Room. The two schoolhouses were at max capacity. By 1939 Hudson Junior High school was built off School Street. Growth of the town increased need for more classrooms. By 1951 the vision of Dr. Alfred Hills was realized when Alvirne opened as a combined Junior/Senior High School. The junior high building off School Street became an elementary school and renamed H.O. Smith Elementary. By the close of this era Hudson Memorial School was in use and ready for expansion. File for download:
Achieving Stability (1970 – 2020) also in the Meeting Room. Hudson continued to grow. The town purchased St John’s School for an elementary school: Library Street School. Later in this era we see the construction of Nottingham West and Hills Garrison Schools. Files for Download:
Alvirne Story (1920 – 2021) displayed in Meeting Room near the fireplace. This segment begins with the vision of Dr. Hills in 1920 to the securing of the Hills Family trust funds in 1948, the first graduating class in 1951, fires at the high school and barn, to the expansion and rededication of the Palmer Center. Files for Download:
The text with photos for each of these segments can be downloaded from the home page of RememberHudsonNHWhen.com.
Hills House Tours with the customary
scavenger hunt and prizes
Hudson School History 1719 – 2021
Friday Aug 13 5:00 – 8:00 pm
Saturday Aug 14 3:00 – 8:30 pm
Sunday Aug 14 12:30 – 3:30 pm
$3.00 admission; children under 12 free with adult
Hudson residents in many neighborhoods have access to trail systems following along and adjacent to cleared spaces beneath power transmission lines. These have been used for decades by children on adventures, pleasure hikers and off-roaders (legally and otherwise.) There is a particular spot where a combination of power lines, cow paths, and discontinued routes from older times branch out from a century-old granite quarry the locals call “The Ledges”.
The Ledges are located in the woods northeast beyond Ledge Rd, but trail access was cut off by development long ago. It is well off the power line trails from the substation at the end of Power St. (road gated) where these transmission towers head off in multiple directions to bring electricity to the region. A trail, once a road, from Ledge Rd. to Power St. is in living memory of a few locals. The quarry as it remains today is hard to conceive a more thrilling, if unsafe, playground for youngsters. Stone steps for scrambling up and down 20 feet or more, natural and man-made features inspire the imagination into a pretend house, or a hero’s hideout. A frog pond at the base of a cliff where throughout the spring one can see eggs become tadpoles, then frogs year after year.
Modern quarry operations cleave monstrous slabs of granite with house-sized chainsaws, and leave tall, smooth cliffs. When in operation from the1800s until the beginning of the 20th century, the technology involved a series of holes likely by steam drill, then splitting off large pieces with what’s known as “feather and wedge”. Of course explosives were also used, scattering large chunks all to be carried away by wagon. Their destination or ultimate use is unfortunately unknown. Granite was and remains a sought-after commodity primarily for building. Foundations to entire structures, seawalls, retaining walls as well as monuments and markers. In viewing, one can see The Ledges was a small operation with its output probably used up locally. What remains are irregular stair-step remnants of stone in an amphitheater arrangement.
In searching for its history, not a whole lot remains. The Historical Society turned its attention here in response to an inquiry concerning a turn of the century map. As is shown below, when operating, the quarry was referred to as ”Lappre’s Ledge” (1889), then later (1908) “Mcqueston property – Duncklee’s Ledge”. What follows are largely verbatim reported accounts from the Nashua Telegraph. These concern the quarry and surrounding areas, (minimally edited to preserve the character of the original accounts). Excerpts in Italics, Warning: There are some graphic descriptions of accidents:
Jun 6, 1889 – Hudson – NH – Explosion – Lappre’s Ledge -A man in the act of discharging a blast when a gust of wind blew some of the loose powder upon the fuse and a premature explosion followed. The man with a ton or more of fragments stone, was thrown more than 20 feet into the air. He fell within a few feet of the place where he was standing at the time of the discharge, and strange to say, was not killed. These injuries, however, were of a very serious character. His face badly burned and blistered is a eye so badly injured that the doctor feared he will lose it. His left leg and arm were badly burned and blistered, and the skin pierced and torn by stone. In fact, pieces of stone forced into his leg in several places. Besides this, this watch, which stop at 10:40 AM is rendered worthless, and his clothes torn and set on fire. The man was brought to his home in Nashua where he was attended by a doctor who had no occasion for alarm concerning the patient’s recovery.
Apr 11, 1894 – Hudson – NH – Wagon accident – Ledge Road – a man was drawing stone from the ledge and loaded his wagon and was on the way out in route to Nashua. The road out of the pit was steep up the hill. His wagon jumped over a large stone and he was thrown from the wagon. He fell under the wheels and died on the scene.
Nov 14, 1907 – Hudson – NH – Explosion with injury – A man working at the LP Dunklee ledge suffered numerous fractures, burns and cuts when he was placing explosives to clear rock and a secondary explosion took place. He died from his injuries 8 days later.
Apr 11, 1908 – Hudson – NH – Large brush fire – Mcqueston property – Duncklee’s Ledge – The fire was started by brush fire being burned and was spread by the wind. Ten acres were burned before the fire was controlled around noon. At 2pm the flames again reignited and were spreading fast. Over 100 acres burned being the largest fire in (town) history up to that time. Dec 1, 1962 – Hudson – NH – House fire – Ledge Road -Firefighters responded to the vacant unoccupied home and they when arrived heavy fire was showing from the small building. Before crews could bring the blaze under control the home was destroyed.END Excerpt
This last item, the house fire was unique in that its location was not on a conventional street, rather a lot immediately adjacent to the quarry. It was inhabited by a reclusive woman until 1959 and abandoned a few years before it burned. As it turned out, this woman owned the quarry site and a considerable amount of the associated land which she sold when she vacated. First hand accounts describe the building as “a shanty” with one witness claiming it was built around a large boulder up through the floor. Plausible speculation is that it was the field office during the quarry’s operation (where a boulder might only make sense). A brief mention in the Dec. 3 ’62 Telegraph states the cause as arson. Ample land in a central area of town can only remain untouched for so long. In the 1980s, the quarry site and surroundings combined for a land sale where over one hundred homes stand today. Preservation efforts are fortunately unnecessary for the Ledges remaining rugged stone in the Granite State.
Written by Steve Kopiski. Acknowledgements for research assistance to Ruth Parker, Peter Lindsay and Dave Morin; (HFD Call Records from the Nashua Telegraph.)