The House at 122 Lowell Road C 1905
This home was located on Lowell Road, just north of the intersection with Pelham Road and alongside Blodgett Cemetery. From 1895 until about 1912 it was the home of Jennie May (Ellis) and Eugene Barker and their family. Raised on a farm, Eugene moved to Nashua about 1891, most likely for employment. He and Jennie were married in Nashua and lived there until after the birth of their second child. Because of the availability of the electric trolley to/from Nashua and down Lowell Road, he was able to move his family to the country and commute to work on public transportation! Their third child was born in Hudson.
In this photo the careful observer can see the tracks for the electric trolley in front of their house; and, the wall and tombstones of the adjacent Blodgett Cemetery.
By 1912 the property was sold to Harry J. Connell, Hudson’s first permanent police officer. Connell resided here, selling to William O’Neal in 1920. This house remained a residence for various families until 1983 when Countryside Realty was established. For several years it remained as a real estate office. A few years ago, about 2004, the building was razed and the area reconfigured into an industrial building with several units. It is currently owned by Hudson Plaza, LLC. Photo donated to the Historical Society by the Nashua Historical Society and now a part of our collection.
Alvirne Memorial Chapel c1909
The Alvirne Memorial Chapel at 160 Derry Road is one of the most popular and widely known historic sites in Hudson. In this photo we see the chapel as it looked soon after it was built. In November 1908 Dr. Alfred Hills announced his plans to erect a chapel in memory of his wife Ida Virginia Creutzborg who had passed away suddenly in May that year. He named this chapel Alvirne, after their nearby summer home. The stones used for the exterior walls were weathered granite; made available as a result of a recent addition to the cemetery. A belfry in front provided a resting place for the bell.
Architect Hubert A. Ripley published the drawings and specifications for this chapel in the January 1910 edition of Architectural Review. In these drawings was a note: “Bell Not Included”. Upon seeing this the question became Why? We have just recently learned the answer. A close up photo of the bell, taken from a elevated bucket, showed that the bell in the Alvirne Memorial Chapel is the very same bell donated to the Chapel of the Holy Angels by Dr. and Mrs. Hills in 1890. Dr. Hills saved the bell from the Holy Angels Chapel only to have it to place in the Alvirne Chapel some short time later.
Mrs. Hills passed May 19, 1908; by November of the same year Dr. Hills announced his plans to build the Alvirne Chapel in her memory, and by November 1909 the chapel was consecrated. This leads me to speculate that perhaps the plans for the Alvirne Chapel were in the minds and discussions ob both Virginia and Alfred before her death. Photo from the Historical Society Collection.
Chapel of The Holy Angels 1892
Between 1886 and 1905 the Chapel of the Holy Angels in Hudson served as a mission chapel of the Good Shepherd Episcopal Church in Nashua. Initially services were held at the number two school off River and Steele Roads. In 1890, after the town voted to build a new school house, the church purchased the old house and moved it onto the east side of Lowell Road, just north of Stewart’s Corner.Renovations were made to the exterior and the interior of the building. A belfry and cross was placed over the front gable. In the belfry there was a bell from the foundry of Clinton H. Meneely, Troy, NY. This bell was inscribed with “Let him that heareth say come.” The belfry and bell were the gift of Dr. and Mrs. (Virginia) Hills. Other improvements were also made and the chapel was consecrated in September 1892. Weekly services continued through 1905. By 1907 the building was sold and converted into a dwelling. Until recently we had no knowledge about the disposition of the bell. Next week we will see that the bell was saved and placed in another building in this town. Photo from the collection of the Hudson Historical Society.
Connie’s Country Store
Let’s meet at Connie’s!! A widely popular spot for Hudson and Litchfield folks is shown in this 1977 photo. As you enter the building you had Connie’s Country Store and Restaurant on your right and the Garden Center and Green House on the left. By the late 1950’s the State of New Hampshire re-routed Route 102 (Derry Road), just north of the Hills House, to proceed north through parts of Litchfield, then back into Hudson, then forward to Londonderry and Derry. Before this time Route 102 followed the route of what is now Old Derry Road. The construction of this New Derry Highway extended traffic onto much previously undeveloped land in Litchfield and Hudson.
In 1959 Connie and Amadee “Midee” Desmarais purchased property at the corner of Derry and Cutler Roads and went into business. In the early years they had a fruit and vegetable stand and soon expanded to include a variety of products, food, and services. In 1965 fire destroyed the Desmarais home and business. Connie’s was rebuilt as shown in this week’s photo.
The Desmarais family operated Connie’s for over 25 years until 1985 when they considered retirement and sold the business; only to be ‘called’ out of retirement. This occured not just once, but twice!! They finally sold again in 2002.
Still known to some as Connie’s Plaza this site at 297 Derry Road is now home to Rocco’s Pizza, Klemm’s Bakery, Findeisen’s Ice Cream, Second Look Consignment, Rhino Tax preparer, and Moonlight nails. Photo from the Historical Society Collection.
. Kitchener’s Cabins c1955
In 1955 Kitchener’s Cabins on Route 111 in Hudson advertised as follows: one-half mile from Benson’s Wild Animal Farm, heated cabins, radios, showers, continuous hot water, fishing and boating on premises, novelties, souvenirs, and swimming at Ottarnic Lake!!
Arthur Kitchener, a Hudson resident, received a permit from the Town in 1947 to build a set of 4 cabins on land along Ferry Street near Tarnic Pond; an 8 acre parcel and a portion of the land once owned by the Balcom Ice Co.This ice house, the largest wooded house in the state, was completely destroyed by fire in November 1945. When Kitchener received the permit, it was the first such permit granted by the town. A few years later he expanded the number of cabins. By 1956 his wife Jennie Kitchener operated the cabins; still later their daughter Constance (Kitchener) Durwin owned and operated the business. .
As times and business needs changed these cabins and the surrounding property morphed into a mobile home park and an automotive repair and sales business. In 1980 it became the site of Champion Motors owned by Lenny “Mac” McCallum and the adjacent Kitchener’s Mobile Home Court was owned by Constance. Located at what is now 120 – 122 Ferry Street, opposite the Dairy Queen, this site is now the locatiom of Granite State Auto and Otarnic Pond Cooperative. Photo from the Historical Society Collection.